Optimising vaccination in Greater Manchester
What are we trying to do?
The National Insights Prioritisation Programme (NIPP) is a new collaborative that leverages the expertise of NIHR Applied Research Collaborations (ARCs) and Academic Health Science Centres (AHSNs) to evaluate new ways of working, initiated or accelerated as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
We have received funding to provide rapid insights into the way vaccinations for COVID-19 have been provided to people living within Greater Manchester, with the aim of uptake local vaccine uptake and delivery in future.
We will take a rapid evaluation approach to explore:
- Vaccination activity that has been implemented to date in Greater Manchester
- The evidence or community-targeted vaccine delivery
- The variation in vaccine uptake rates at a local area level across Greater Manchester
- High priority areas and vaccine delivery approaches which will be the focus of further implementation
- Whether the implementation of targeted vaccination activity may improve local outcomes.
Why is it important?
The COVID-19 pandemic has had an unequal impact on different groups of people in the UK. Greater Manchester has seen disproportionally high virus-related morbidity and mortality. Whilst vaccination has had a huge impact, varying rates of vaccine uptake may lead to different outcomes. By increasing vaccination rates, this work can reduce inequalities and provide a learnt, lasting legacy of best practice for vaccination delivery in Greater Manchester.
How will we do it?
We will use a mixed methods approach:
- We will undertake a interviews and surveys with relevant staff to describe models of vaccination delivery
- We will undertake a rapid review of vaccination delivery approaches that have been used elsewhere which aim to increase vaccination uptake
- We will use routine data sets to assess vaccination uptake rates in Greater Manchester and at a more local level
- We will draw findings together from earlier phases and work with local stakeholders to identify potential areas for further implementation
- We will explore target implementation of vaccination delivery using an appropriate implementation framework.
Who are we working with?
- Health Innovation Manchester
- Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership
- Greater Manchester Combined Authority
If you would to know more about this work, please contact Ross Atkinson (Programme Manager).