We are delighted to be able to offer one paid internship within the NIHR ARC GM Mental Health theme. Our internship is specifically aimed at adult service users or informal carers living in the Greater Manchester locality who have an interest in exploring opportunities to become involved in research in the field of mental health.
The NIHR ARC-GM supports applied health and care research that responds to, and meets the needs of local populations and local health and care systems. Our overarching goal is to improve the health of the GM population and the quality and sustainability of the health and social care they receive. We will achieve this by co-producing excellent research in prioritised areas and by enhancing its impact through supported implementation into policy and practice.
Within the Mental Health Theme we work closely with the University of Manchester Mental Health Research Group which has an award-winning track record for patient and public involvement. We are very enthusiastic about involving service users in our research and have run several research methods courses for adult service users and carers over the past few years. Some members of this course now advise on our research projects. We are looking to expand on this work and recruit two service user or informal carer interns to work with us flexibly over the next 18 months.
Applications are now closed, please check back on this page for future opportunities.
What does the internship involve?
Our internship programme will give an essential introduction to research and focus on the personal development needs of the intern. The internship will give candidates:
- time to develop key skills which are relevant and useful for future goals
- an understanding of how to formulate research questions and identify appropriate research designs
- skills in which methods to use when searching and reviewing literature
- tips on conducting research and understanding, analysing, and presenting findings
- access to a whole host of resources including the University of Manchester library, online research resources and training opportunities
- the opportunity to join activities across the wider NIHR ARC-GM Mental Health research theme and attend team and relevant project meetings